Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Big Brother!

Today is my big brother's birthday, though he isn't that much "bigger" than me.  We are only 15 months apart, so as children we often got mistaken for twins.  As I blogged earlier, we lived in the country, there were no neighborhood children to play with, so we were thicker than thieves as little kids.  We grew up in a 4 bedroom house, but me and my brother shared a room until I was in the third grade, because we didn't leave each other's side.  Then after that came the years where we didn't much care for each other, the years where we fought constantly, the years where your friends seem so much more important than your family.  Can you tell we are related?


photo courtesy of Meagan Jefferson
I always joke that I am so passive because of my brother, who as a child was the worst sore loser ever.  Being the younger sibling I usually never won, whether it was a board game or sports; however, every once in a blue moon I would be about to win.  Of course, my brother would quit or throw the pieces off the board, anything to not allow me to win.  My mother always said I never batted an eye and just went about my business.  To this day, I am the least competitive person you will ever meet.  Second, third, and fourth is fine with me! :)

I am very grateful I have a sibling and can't imagine how it would feel to be an only child.  In my brother, I find someone that knows who I am and loves me regardless. I have someone to call and complain about my parents.  I have someone that thinks and views things almost exactly like me because we were raised with the same values, in the same house.  Most importantly, I have a built in friend for the rest of my life (hopefully, God willingly) after my parents are long gone.

So happy birthday to my big brother!  The person whose idea of "I will be there in a minute" means at least a hour and fifteen minutes later.  The person who if you say you are going to pick him up, you will get there in he will be just then be getting in the shower.  The person with little to no fashion sense and I always feels needs his t-shirts in a size bigger.  The person who is the quite guy in the corner, but one of the funniest people once you get him to talk to you.  The person I know would do anything  for me, his family, or his friends, whether he just met you or has known you forever, and not ask for anything in return.  I am lucky God gave me a sibling like you!

I took my brother out to eat Friday night for a "fancy" meal at Cafe Dupont for his birthday and I must say it was one of the best meals I have had in a while.  The restaurant is located in downtown on 20th Street North.  It was a pretty small restaurant with a quiet and quaint atmosphere.  I got the grouper and my brother got the lamb chops.  Dessert was chocolate almond pie and creme brulee.  Everything was delicious and I would definitely go back.  Service was adequate.  Our server seemed a bit overwhelmed, but we were never left unattended for a long period.  I would definitely recommend.  I need to find a date and go back!

photo source:  www.dupontcafe.net
photo source:  http://blog.al.com
Sidebar when you first come in the restaurant..

One of my favorites:
2 Corinthians 12:9-10  But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment