Saturday, February 4, 2012

If I Were a Boy....

You walk into a hotel bar and see a woman seated by herself, you think to yourself, she must be waiting on a friend.  Then you notice her skirt is slightly shorter than the average.  Time passes and no one shows up.  A well dressed man in an expensive suit comes in and sits next to her.  The woman strikes up a conversation with him. What does the bystander assume about the couple?  The man in a business suit must be a hard working man that had a rough day and needed a drink.  The woman on the other hand, why is she at a hotel bar with a short skirt on?  She must be a gold digger trying to get in that man's pocket.  You might even go so far to wonder if she is a prostitute...

Welcome to the double standard! 

Women that go into bars alone are skanks.  They must be crazy and not have any friends.  Men go to bars, because ,bless their hearts, they have had a hard day and need a drink.  A man walks into the bar by himself and no one bats an eye.  Even if that man has a wife and/or kids at home.  He needs to have a drink and get away from that nagging wife or those annoying kids.  Never mind that his wife also worked a full day, just like him, she needs to be home with "their" kids!

Nothing, I mean nothing,  is more unattractive than a man with children that sits up at the bar multiple nights a week.  Further, I don't like to see a married man, with or without children, at the bar flirting with women, even it is harmless (and sometimes it's not)  I just never understood it.  Do you think single people go to the bar, because it is just loads of fun? They go to meet someone, to fall in love, to get married, to have children.  So...why when that happens do people want to go back to the start?  I guess the grass is always greener.

A married woman with children could never get away with the previous mentioned behavior.  Being a mother is far more important than being a father and you are judged much more harshly if you are not a good one.  A man leaves his family and does not support his family, no one is surprised.  A woman leaves her family with her husband, she is lower than low, and the man is placed on a pedestal.  He must be "born in a manager", as my brother likes to say.  The pedestals always seem to be misplaced when it comes to mothers.  Let's be honest there is not enough pedestals in the world...

Don't get me started about physical appearance!  Men can be old, overweight, and bald and by all means they deserve someone at least 10 years their junior that is drop dead gorgeous.  Women practically have an expiration date that falls around 35, past that point they have too many wrinkles and are getting too old to bear children to these old men that have waited well into their 40s to settle down.  I mean look at Hollywood, everyone swoons over George Clooney.  He is such a handsome playboy! No woman can tame him.  Now think of any 50 year old woman that everyone swoons over.  You can't because there isn't one.  Nobody swoons over a 50 year old single woman in Hollywood or in real life for that matter.  I mean people already question why I can't find anybody to marry and I am just 29! 

Men get bachelor and playboy, women get spinster and old maid.  These women that never get "married off", everyone pities.  "Bless her heart, she could never could find a man to marry her".  Obviously, there is something horribly wrong with her.  I mean it couldn't possibly be the fact that some women choose not to get married, choose not to have children.  Women who don't want to get married and not have children....society frowns on that!

I guess with my 30th birthday fast approaching I have got a lot to look forward to!  :) I mean I am getting wrinkles, will soon get gray hair, and I am sure my ovaries are not spitting out as many eggs.  My worth in the eyes of society is slowing decreasing by the minute. I could go either way.  I could prepare and buy a lot of cats for my spinster role or start dating men a a lot younger than me and become a "cougar".  The problem with these options is A) I don't really care for cats and B) I have trouble rounding up a date with anybody, young or old!

I guess I will just accept my wrinkles and gray hair, to hell with double standard, I have decided it doesn't meet my standards! :)

I thought I would end with Ms. Beyonce....



1 Corinthians 2:9
No eye has seen, no ear has heard and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment