Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

It is bound to happen.  You run in to people unexpectedly, particularly when you look horrible.  Then there is no way you can avoid them and you have to make small talk for fifteen minutes.  If there is one thing I can't stand it is small talk.

Then there are those "run-ins" that you can't avoid, that will happen the moment you least expect it.  The family member that you haven't talked to in months for whatever reason, the person that used to be your best friend until you grew apart, or the worst is the person that used to be in love with you.  This happened to me recently, I saw my ex-boyfriend out a restaurant.  No words were spoken.  The person who used to be my best friend, the first person I called when anything happened, and now it is like you are strangers.  What is the time frame?  How long will you have to wait before that moment isn't the most awkward moment in the whole entire world?  Yes, I know I am being over dramatic ;)

This is how the previous mentioned situation feels.  It feels like someone punches you in the stomach, you're short of breath, your heart beats out of your chest, your blood pressure rises, and your hands start to shake.  My friend, who witnessed my come apart, actually pointed out she could tell I was anxious because my chest had broken out in hives, which only happens when I am anxious or angry.  As you can tell I really handled the situation well. :) Then what stings even more, is you are absolutely sure that he did not feel this way at all.  This mishap probably fell under the category of "minor inconvenience" for him.

OK, truthfully, what did I want to do?  I wanted to go over and hug him.  I wanted to ask him how he was, ask him what he had been doing, I wanted to make sure he was happy.  I just wanted to talk to him, but I didn't.  I sat there like I was glued to my seat and avoided him the entire night until I turned around and he was gone.  I didn't have to see him anymore.  His face will now only be confined to the images I keep in my head, that can't seem to leave, even though I try every day to erase them.

What do you do?  You get up, leave, and pray these images, these thoughts will leave your head, and not dominate your thoughts.  I guess that's all you can do.

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment