Monday, February 27, 2012

2 hearts beat like 4 dancing feet....

I must admit that I didn't blog too much last week, so if you do follow my blog...sorry!  I really wasn't busy, just nothing to say.  Yet again it is Monday...ugh!  I did not get a darn thing accomplished today at work and I really needed to!  Oh well, always tomorrow. ;)

I had a pretty enjoyable weekend even though nothing significant really happened.  However, I did spend all afternoon yesterday cleaning.  My house was a disaster and I think every piece of clothing I own was dirty. (and I have a lot of clothes, so you can imagine)  I was so glad when I finally got that out of the way! 

I was really tired today because I stayed up way past my bedtime last night.  Saturday I saw that the David Mayfield Parade was playing at Bottletree Sunday night.  I have seen them a couple of times before because they opened for the Avett Brothers and I really enjoyed their set, so I rounded up my brother and another friend to go.  I had never been to the Bottletree before, so I was anxious to see what it was all about.  The Bottletree has the reputation for being a wanna-be hippie hangout.  Wanna-be hippies are the absolute worst.  If you don't know how to spot one I will tell you.  They almost always listen to Widespread Panic, have an Obama sticker on their Subaru (even though they know next to nothing about politics), refer to concerts as "shows", frequent music festivals, and whole heartedly support the legalization of marijuana.  I have never understood this crowd.  They try so hard to preach "one love" and rebel against conformity, but in all actuality they are conforming...just in a different way.  Whether it is a Rolex watch or a hemp bracelet, whether it is driving a Subaru or a Range Rover, you are still conforming...you are still trying to fit in!  So the moral of the story is just be yourself and don't support Obama because you think it is "cool" (and I emphasize the latter.....)  If you haven't seen the Southpark episode that makes fun of hippies it is pretty spot on.  Click the link below to hear about the "the college know it all hippie"  It is hilarious!

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154822/college-know-it-all-hippies

OK....off my soap box.  The Bottletree is in the Avondale neighborhood, but it seemed like the middle of nowhere.  It turned out to be a pretty cool bar and it wasn't too crowded because it was a Sunday night and the Oscars were also on last night.  Plus they had Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) tall boys! :)  The decor was really eclectic and they had a really unique covered patio.  I found some pictures:

The patio... it was nowhere near this crowded when we were there. 
Best shot I could find of the stage.  As you can see it is a pretty small venue, just read that it has a 75 people capacity.  photo source: http://rvanews.com/features/no-bs-brass-birmingham-or-bust-part-2/28651

After reading up on the Bottletree they also serve food, including a Sunday brunch.  Click here to see their full menu.  Overall, a good small venue for music.  I would definitely go back.

David Mayfield Parade put on a great show! David is a big ham and cracks jokes throughout his set.  He also gets close and personal with his audience.  He actually serenaded my brother on his knees when he ventured into the audience.  He also sang the last song in the middle of the audience sitting Indian style! If you ever get a chance to see him I would definitely recommend it.  My favorite song they sang last night was "Breath of Love".  I actually posted it on my facebook page last week, before I even knew I was going to see him last night.  Enjoy!


love this lyric from this song :)

"...if I could be anything I'd be hers....I'm sweet on her I suppose..."

No comments:

Post a Comment