Monday, February 6, 2012

First 5K

Last week I didn't post too often.  I was running more than usual to prepare for my first 5K last Saturday.  The weekend started out with a bang!  I left work Friday slightly early to get my brakes checked.  The mechanic comes out and tells me I need front and back brakes, which I figured.  Then he tries to tell me it will be $437.  No, thank you!  That just seems too much, so I thought I would consult with my Daddy about the price before the service was performed.  (Even though I hate to ask my Daddy anything, because he is what people like to call a "know it all".)  After the consult with the father, decided to hold off until the next time I go home.  Funny, they usually price a different quote to a 6'4, 300 lb. man.  I wonder why? ;)

I took the brake quote as a bad omen for the weekend.  I went home and checked the weather for my run Saturday and it was a 60% percent chance of rain! Ugh! However, I went to bed early in hopes that the rain would hold out.  It did and it turned  out to be a pretty day for the most part Saturday.

I must say I was pretty proud of myself Saturday morning.  I ran the whole time and did not come in last place.  There were quite a few people in front of me, but I was still excited I completed it!  I started running several months back, when my ex-boyfriend started training for a half marathon.  I never exercise, other than walking my dog, and I thought it would be good for me.  I have been blessed to have a tall and thin frame, but I thought a little exercise would give me some more energy.  I chose a couch to 5K program and started running.  When I first started, I couldn't even run a minute without huffing and puffing.  I had no endurance at all.  I have to say these programs really work.  Now I run about 30-45 minutes 3 times a week no problem all.  I used a program from Cool Running.  I think it is the original one.

Pinned Image

I never thought I would like running, but I actually do.  I worry, though I try not to, about stuff that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  When you are running, you don't think about anything, but your goal.  It is like your mind is a complete blank, no worries.  Now will I ever run a marathon?  Probably not, but I will continue running?  Definitely, I am already thinking about running another race next month. 

After I started running I decided to buy a good pair of shoes.  I went to buy some and fell in love with an Adidas pair; however, they were a too expensive for my liking.  I decided to go with a pair of Brooks running shoes, because they were so light on my feet and I haven't been disappointed. These are my shoes, the Ghost 4.  I got mine at DSW and they were less expensive than they are on their website.
I also broke down and got a good watch, even though I haven't quite figured out how to use it yet! Good thing it is cute, because I am beginning to wonder if I will ever learn how to use it... It is a Sportline watch and I got it a Dick's Sporting Goods.  It was a little pricey, but I had an old gift card, so it didn't turn out to be too bad.
Sportline Women's SOLO 925 Heart Rate Monitor - Dick's Sporting Goods  
                                              photo source:  http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/

Overall, relaxing weekend which also included an afternoon at Veterans Park with Lucy, a pedicure and dinner with a good friend, church, and a delicious brunch of shrimp and grits with my brother.  I also think there was a football game?  :)

I ended up trying out a new church Sunday.  I am a gyspy when it comes to church, always going to different ones.  I always think it is interesting to see how others worship.  However, I decided to go to a Methodist church, the denomination I grew up in.  I haven't been to a Methodist church in a while and I forgot they say the Lord's Prayer after the preacher prays. One of the first prayers I learned growing up in church.

Matthew 6:9-13
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment