Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Forced Awkward Intimate Situation Called Dating....

Blind dates might actually be something someone, somewhere made up to torture single people.  I have never had the pleasure (catch my sarcasm) of going on a blind date until last week.  In attempt to put myself out there (as I have been told by so many people to do) I went out on a blind date.  I don't think there will be another anywhere in my near future.  As mentioned in a previous post, persons who have a significant other often think dating around is fun.  It's not....trust me, even if you do get a free meal.  So I meet this random in a restaurant, eat my free meal, and have mediocre conversation for an hour and fifteen minutes.  Further, he chose to spend most of the date turned to the side.  I could count on my hands the times he actually made eye contact.  (It should be noted I usually feel awkward when people make too much eye contact, but I do at least like people to look in the general direction of me when conversing.)  I could not get out of there fast enough. 

If "dating" is supposed to help you get over your ex it actually has the opposite effect on me.  I got in the car and started the comparison immediately.  Well...he wasn't as handsome as him, he wasn't as funny as him, he wasn't as charismatic as him, he wasn't even as tall as him (and if you know me that is a big deal).  He didn't hold a candle to him.  Now, yes, I realize they weren't in a race, but my blind date, definitely didn't win the imaginary competition.  The conclusion came that maybe I am not ready for blind dates or for that matter dates in general.

In the meantime I guess I am gonna take advantage of this time by doing things you usually don't do or don't have time to do when you are busy "true-lovin".   For me this includes watching bad reality television (Real Housewives of Anywhere, anything with Kardashians, Teen Mom, The Bachelor, etc.), eating Special K multiple nights a week for dinner, spending way too much time on Pinterest, getting frequent manicures, exercising more frequently (which this isn't a bad thing), and shopping for things I don't need.  Yes, I will take the before mentioned activities over a free meal any day.  I had to add this clip from Wedding Crashers, he pretty much hits the nail on the head!


Plus, don't get me started on internet dating.  People will tell you to try it.  You will think the following:  I am older and I am not going to meet anybody at work. (Most people I work with are women or married.)  I have little to no luck meeting someone out.  Everyone I know is married.  So, you think..."Why not?"  Then you do and you realize why not.  Within the first week of joining an internet dating site.  I had someone write me a three paragraph poem expressing how he knew I was the one.  The other people that contacted me were divorcees in their 40s, men with multiple children, or atheists.  These are the people they think are matches for me?  FAIL.  To say I was underwhelmed with the options was an understatement.  I deleted my account shortly after.  I'll take my chances meeting someone the old-fashioned way.  The right guy will show up when he shows up.

1 Corinthians 8:2-3 Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much.  But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment