Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Life Should Be a Sitcom

I thought everyone could use a smile this Wednesday......

I sit in a bar by myself waiting on my blind date to show up.  (Yes, in an effort to find my person I have resorted to blind dates.) So I sit at the bar waiting for my date to show up, drinking a beer, texting.  I think I should add here I'm not a big texter.  I typically mentally respond in my head and never actually take the time to respond via text.  I think I am just old enough to not be a part of the text message bonanza that has taken over all forms of verbal communication.  I was texting my friend joking about the dreaded "blind date situation", the awkwardness of it all.  Most blind dates are bearable, few are noteworthy.  At least, this has been my experience thus far.  As she noted some horrible blind dating experiences, she jokingly added her theory was to go out with anyone that was offering a free meal. At that same moment my date text to indicate he was almost there and trying to find a parking spot.  I responded to him then went back to my conversation with my friend, indicating I had actually set up the date because he never would get around to asking me out.  Let me be more specific, my text said something along the lines of:  "Lord, I set it up because he kept beating around the bush, so I'll probably have to pay " and then added another text, "To top it all off he's 3 years younger than me".  I also added a hasttag "#cougar"" and for good measure I added a winking or smiley face icon.  I can't remember because I have tried to block the ensuing fiasco from my mind.  After a few moments, I get a text from my date...."Huh?" Then it hits me...... I accidentally sent him those texts! I never switched back to my friend. Oh, sweet Jesus! Is this really happening?  Is this my life?

Complete  mortification sets in when I realize what I had done.  I think the term "I could die of embarrassment" was made for situations just like this.  Then I realize I have to leave; I can't face him, not after those texts.  Decision made; I'm leaving.  I fumbled around and sent a very apologetic text, explaining the situation along with my embarrassment.  Then I went to grab my purse to leave, I couldn't face this dude.  That was it.  However, just like my incredible luck I turn to leave and he is tapping me on the shoulder.  Mother F......you know what!  I'm stuck with this guy for at least an hour who probably thinks I'm a shallow bitch, just how I wanted to spend my Tuesday night.  AWESOME.  At this moment I realized my love life is slowly becoming a sitcom and all I could do was laugh......

I'm pretty sure I offended him, but I have to say he took it somewhat in stride even ending the meeting with, "We should do this again."  Dude, we're probably never gonna see each other again and, trust me, I completely understand why.  At least I have humor in my life, right?  Note to self, never text again while waiting on a blind date or better yet don't go on blind dates for a while.  The bright side is last night I met my quota for embarrassment and social awkwardness to last the rest of the year. Hopefully......

Happy Hump Day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment