Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Is the "Modern Day Feminist" Beyonce?

I scroll through my Newsfeed and see Beyoncé gracing the cover of TIME magazine's 100 Most Influential People donning a swimsuit or lingerie, hard to tell.  TIME, really?! I am not saying she is not influential, obviously she is.  I just don't really think her influence warrants a cover.

People always report Beyoncé is a "modern day feminist"  My ass! (pardon my French)  Beyoncé is an entertainer that performs wearing scantily clad outfits.  Don't get me wrong.  She is an amazing singer and dancer, but her whole career is based on her image, largely her physical beauty.  And she is beautiful, in fact a very small percentage of the population is as beautiful as she.  No one values Beyoncé for her personality, her good deeds, her grace, her intelligence. She is selling her sexuality and she is doing it willingly.  Her new album has multiple songs depicting graphic sexual scenarios.  She is preaching a message: It is perfectly fine to objectify yourself, as long as you are the one doing it.

Beyoncé did you know you are teaching young girls that physical beauty is of the upmost importance?  Did you know your lyrics are teaching young girls that their value should be placed on what they can do sexually for a man?  I am sure your little girl will be so proud to know about your sexual escapades with her father when she gets old enough to listen to your "highly acclaimed" album as you specifically describe "surfboading" Jay-Z. 

If you have you not heard the songs that they play on the radio constantly, let me give you a sampling of some lyrics:
Partition:
We ain't even gonna make it to this club
Now my mascara runnin', red lipstick smudged
Oh he so horny, yeah he want to f***
He popped all my buttons and he ripped my blouse
He Monica Lewinski'd all on my gown
Take all of me
I just wanna be the girl you like, girl you like
The kinda girl you like, girl you like
Take all of me

Yep, she is influencing people, but she is about as feminist as Miley Cyrus in my book.  When did confidence in women become interchangeable with sexually open? America when did we decide to applaud young, naïve girls for promoting sexuality?  When did it become perfectly fine to call these women feminists?  I don't blame Beyoncé or Miley Cyrus for doing what they do. They know sex sells and they are selling it to the fullest extent.  It's American pop culture's fault, and America really needs some work, DESPERATELY. 

So what does the word "feminism" mean?  According to Webster, "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes"  Therefore, these women promoting sexual objectification under the umbrella of "feminism" are in fact pulling us backwards.  Reminding men that we have very little to offer other than "pretty faces", boobs, and sexual gratification.

So Beyoncé I will not "bow down" to you as you so elegantly stated in the your song "Bow Down Bitches", instead I will choose to celebrate women who are educated (whether formally or self-taught), women that are good, kind, and put others before themselves.  Women that are humble.  Women that are compassionate.  Women that I see in my every day life that work hard to better themselves and their families even when all the odds are stacked against them.  Women that are beautiful on the inside and out. 

I don't have a daughter, but if I ever do  I want her value to be placed on her character, intelligence, and how she treats others.  So ironically enough Beyoncé you are hindering my future daughter and daughters across America from "running the world".

  

No comments:

Post a Comment