Sunday, March 16, 2014

And You Still Want to Have Children?

I went out last night to celebrate St Patrick' Day.  Now let's define what "going out" means. Depending on your age it could mean a variety of things.  When I was in college it meant dressing up with your best friends while drinking cheap beer (because you didn't have money to spend at the bar) and then heading out for a night which began at approximately 10:30 pm and ended in the wee morning hours.  I wouldn't take back those years for anything in the world, but now a night out for me consists of dinner, two drinks, and me yawning by 1100.  Also when you reach your 30's the night doesn't just end when you go to sleep it carries over into the next day when you wake up dehydrated and/or nauseous with a headache from hell.

This was pretty much the scenario last night.  Going out also reminds me of my age which is evident by the women and men much younger than me.  As my friend and I sat on the patio of a trendy new downtown bar we watched packs of young girls come in dressed to the nine.  They were all several years younger than me, but all managed to have Tory Burch and Michael Kors purses.  I watched a girl that appeared to be all of 23 years old that was dressed as if she had planned her outfit out of the pages of Lucky magazine tote in a $350 Michael Kors bag. ( I know this because I look at this bag every time I go into Belk, from afar, because I could never, ever, bring myself to buy a $350 handbag.)  $150 yes, but not $350.  Yes, I am sure this girl's daddy bought her this handbag because if she had actually earned the money, the credit card wouldn't swipe so swiftly on the purchase.  This is my competition I thought.  Younger, prettier girls that obviously come from money.  Great...

Even so we were actually having an enjoyable time until I was approached by someone.  Which on any other day would be a good thing because I rarely get approached.  I hear people actually get asked out in bars, but this never seems to happen to me.  I could tell from the get go this one wasn't a keeper (mainly because of his very awkward nature aka "no game whatsoever"), but I humored him when he told me I didn't look a day older than 27.  The first strike came when he told me he was a doctor at UAB.  After I asked him what kind, he told me he had a PhD in something.  Oh....pet peeve.  Then you're not a doctor! The only doctors in my book are medical doctors.  If you can't operate on someone you are not a doctor.  You're an expert on the topic, but not a doctor so please don't refer to yourself as one in social settings. Then it came, he eventually asked me how old I actually was.  When I told him, he followed it up with, "And you still want to have children?"  Really? Seriously dude?!  I'm 31, not 45.  Thank you for reminding me of my biological clock.  I really don't think about it near enough.  At that point he told me a bunch of more random things about himself (which I didn't care to know), he was a divorcee with two kids, 16 and 13, and kept wanting to give me random high fives at various points in the conversation. Then ended it with,  "We should exchange numbers."  Oh, good Lord have mercy.....  What about this scenario makes you think we should exchange numbers?!  When he went to go get a pen to get my number (Yes, he actually was going to write my number on  napkin like it was 1995) we left.  As my friend took me back to my car I wondered are they any just any average, normal people left or am I left with 41 year old divorcees? I really don't want to be a stepmother.  Is it too much to ask to want to be married to someone that has never been married?

Seriously, I really don't want a lot, but as I enter into my 30's, I realize the things I want seem to be hard to come by.  If I had to make a personal ad it would go something like this....  In search of someone who is good (and by that I mean someone who loves God, who is kind, thoughtful, compassionate, tolerant, and hard-working).  Someone who laughs everyday at as many things as he can. Someone who is gainfully employed. Someone who is familiar with the term "savings account".  Someone who knows how to have fun, who enjoys a drink or two (but just not 6 or 8). Someone who enjoys the little things in life.  Someone to drink a cup of coffee with in the morning.  Really, just someone whose favorite place in the world is right beside me.  So applicants are welcome, but for now I will just dodge middle-aged divorcees and hold out hope my prince charming is just around the corner.  Maybe my ovaries will hold out....maybe. :)



Happy St Patrick's Day everyone, and don't forget to wear your green tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment