Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blessings in Disguise and First World Problems: A Thanksgiving Post

I saw a post on Pinterest the other day and it started my little mind to thinking.....


And you know we might just be.  I often see thanksgiving posts around this time, giving thanks for all the obvious things.  Blatant blessings that everyone can easily identify.  Therefore, I thought I would take 10 complaints that frequently come from my mouth and thank God for them.  You know what the Good Book says, Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

  1. Traffic:  I have a car to drive, it works, and it is paid off.  Plus, when I drive to work I have all that extra time. ;) I mean when else would I call my friends if not when in the car? Now I just need to remind myself while I am sitting on I-65 for an hour and a half to get to work because there was a fender bender.
  2. Politics:  I live in America. Period.  I get to say whatever I want, go to church wherever I please, and I get to vote to choose who I want to run my country (even if I don't agree with the end result)! I was astounded at a quote I read recently regarding greed in America in comparison to the other 210 countries in the world, "Americans spend more on trash bags than the individual gross national product of 90 of these countries.  Even more astoundingly, we spend more on eating out than the individual gross national product of 200 of these nations."  (Margin, Richard Swenson)  Confirmation that God does bless America, abundantly!
  3. People Who Choose to Live Off the Government:  Boy, do I love to complain about this one, but thank God I can work.  I have an able body and can contribute to society.  I would not want it any other way.  Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people (Colossians 3:23
  4. Nothing to Wear: Somewhere there is someone with holes in their shoes and no winter coat or worse yet no clothes at all! I have a closet full of clothes, multiple pairs of shoes, and several coats to keep me warm.  First world problems right here people!
  5. Being Single:  I have the money and time to do a lot of things I probably would not have been able to do if I was married off with  a couple of kids.  In the last couple of years, I have seen the Rocky Mountains, bought a townhome, and sat on a beach in Mexico while enjoying an ice cold adult beverage.  The role of "single woman" is really not that bad most of the time.
  6. My Job: I work with special needs children. It is challenging and depressing at times, but I have a job.  Many do not. The End.
  7. Waiting: I wait in traffic, in line, on hold, for my future husband to walk into my life, to do work I should be doing, for my life to turn out the way I envisioned in my head, etc. However, waiting builds patience and God makes everything beautiful in its time (Eclesiastes 3:11)  Reminds me of a C.S. Lewis quote I read recently, "I am sure that God keeps no one waiting unless He sees that it is good for them to wait."
  8. My Age: Aging is inevitable, but it is better than the alternative.  None of us are getting out of here alive.  God has blessed me with 32 years and I hope I get many, many more.  I want lots and lots of wrinkles and time spent in rocking chairs on front porches.  Wrinkles go where smiles have been and I am learning life really does get better with age.   
  9. Money: I don't have a lot and usually at the end of the month I have even less.  Nevertheless, I have money to pay my bills, put clothes on my back, a roof over my head, food in my belly, and more often than not I have a little money left over every month to do whatever I please.  Like the Good Book reminds me, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth........But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven......for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21) 
  10. The Dreaded Internet:  Sometime I wished I still lived in that elusive time when there was not such thing as wireless internet, Facebook, Instagram, and data plans.  My internet is down, my phone is not working, there is no free Wifi?!?  What a blessing in disguise because we might just talk to people at dinner and gaze at beautiful things instead of taking selfies and filtered pictures. 
So, I am one of the luckiest people alive.  I am sure of it.   We all are.  Right now someone is praying for something God has already blessed you with.  A healthy body, money to pay the bills, a spouse, food, clean water, a child, a warm house, loving parents, a job, a friend, and the list goes on and on.  I wanted to end with one of my favorite pieces of scripture from the apostle Paul.  He had a challenging life, but always had a grateful heart, full of thanksgiving. Something this complainer really needs to strive for.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."  (Philippians 4:11-12)





No comments:

Post a Comment