Sunday, January 12, 2014

10 Things My Golden Retriever Has Taught Me

Today was a beautiful day.  I decided to take Lucy (my golden retriever) for a walk when I got home from church.  She anxiously awaited the walk, as she held her head outside the car window anticipating where we were going.  As we began our stroll she immediately found the nearest mud puddle and proceeded to sit right in the middle of it, as she lapped up the water, quenching her thirst.  At that moment I envied her dog's life.  No worries.  No self-awareness. Complete happiness!  The rest of the walk I thought about what lessons she has taught me over the last five years she has spent with me.
  1. Take every opportunity to show people you love how much you love them.  I am greeted everyday when I come home from work with a wagging tail.  Her excitement is over the top, as if she has been waiting all day for the second I walked through the door.  She doesn't let one day go by without showing me how much she has missed me.  Excitement usually fades with people but not with golden retrievers, not with Lucy.
  2. A car ride is best enjoyed with the windows down.
  3. Demand attention and affection.  Most people let others assume what they need or want.  Lucy asks for attention when she wants it.  Lucy will demand attention when she feels she needs it.  She barks as she is standing in front of me.  She paws at me while I'm laying on the couch.  She nudges her nose underneath my arm to encourage petting.  She whines at my bedside in the morning to insist I wake up.  She won't go unnoticed.  What if people just told others what they needed? How much easier would relationships be? Sometimes I wish I could be as bold as her when asking others for what I need.
  4. Don't waste time on people that don't like you.  I read a quote once that said, "You are not made for everyone to like you" and what a true statement it is.  Lucy reads people quickly, if she senses you don't like her then she won't waste one second on you, instead she puts all of her energy into people that appreciate her, love her.  Only if people could do this....
  5. Forgive quickly.  Lucy doesn't hold grudges if someone loses their temper with her. She might stay mad a couple of minutes.  After that, it's as if it never happened.  No bitterness, no hurt feelings.  She is just glad to be back in your good graces. 
  6. Enjoy the little things.  A long walk. A mud puddle. Sunshine.  A car ride.  A visit from a loved one.  Day to day activities  bring Lucy immense happiness; she doesn't know anything else but the little things.  All the moments and seconds that make up the majority of your life, Lucy cherishes.  She doesn't let a moment slip away from her.
  7. Eat well and often.  Don't be picky.  Lucy would eat all day, everyday if I would let her.  Her palate is vast.  She never misses an opportunity to eat and will wait patiently by your side while you are eating just for the chance to have one bite of your food.  Sometimes she gets so excited at the thought of eating she will jump up and down or spin in circles!
  8. There is always enough minutes in the day for a nap. Don't feel bad if you take one.
  9. Don't be afraid to get dirty.  The best things in life require you to sweat.  Lucy doesn't care to get down and dirty to have a little fun.
  10. Love unconditionally.  Lucy loves hard.  She doesn't care if I'm pretty, educated, skinny, wealthy, funny; she just loves me because I am her person.  She has been the love of my life for the past five years.  She's mended my broken hearts and provided me cheer when I needed it the most.  She senses my sadness and always sits near, sometimes with her head in my lap as if to say, "Everything will be OK."
And everything usually is.


No comments:

Post a Comment